14 julho 2008

Hoops

Yesterday I receive a comment from Kaká about the square PVC hoop I used to quilt a mini-quilt. I decided to write about the ins and outs of the PVC square hoop because it could help some quilters who intend to buy one. This opinion results from my personal experience and perhaps other quilters have different opinions about the subject.


Advantages

  • Portability. I prefer this hoop when I travel because it can be dismantled and it takes little room in my luggage.
  • Shape.With a square shape I don´t need to move the quilt so often. It is very good especially for corners and borders.
  • Cost. It is cheaper than the hoops made of wood

Disadvantages

  • Shape (In this parameter you may consider the two sides of the coin).The distance between the center and the edges of the hoop, changes continuously around the square. This may induce an ergonomic problem mainly with big square hoops.
  • It is more difficult for me, to get an even tension on the quilt, when I use this kind of hoop
  • It can mark the quilt deeply. We can never forget to remove the quilt from the hoop, overnight.

Ontem recebi um comentário ácerca do bastidor quadrado que usei para fazer o quilting de um mini-quilt. Decidi apontar alguns prós e contras do mesmo, o que talvez ajude quem pretende adquirir um bastidor deste tipo. É uma opinião que resulta da minha experiência. Provavelmente outros poderão ter as mesmas impressões ou não. Como em tudo, os bastidores são uma questão de gosto pessoal.

Vantagens

  • Desmontam-se facilmente e podem ir num cantinho da mala. É o que levo quando viajo.
  • Forma. Com uma forma quadrada não é necessário mudar tantas vezes o quilt no bastidor. É muito bom para os cantos e as extremidades do quilt.
  • É mais barato que os de madeira

Desvantagens

  • Forma (e aqui temos dois lados da mesma moeda). A distância do centro à extremidade do quilt varia continuamente à volta do quadrado. Pode trazer problemas de ergonomia sobretudo em bastidores maiores (e braços pequenos).
  • É mais díficil conseguir a correcta e homogénea tensão do quilt sobre o bastidor.
  • Deixa marcas profundas no quilt se não houver alguns cuidados. Nunca deixo o quilt no bastidor de um dia para o outro (mesmo nos de madeira)

12 comentários:

Kim disse...

I have used one of these hoops and found that it worked well for lap quilting.

Katie disse...

I have one of these hoops too. It's little, maybe eight inches? I use it for cross stitch and I love it!

Donna disse...

I prefer my large round wooden hoop, but do have a plastic pipe one too -- somehow I find it harder to work the corners of a quilt in the square hoop . Who would have expected!

Teodo disse...

Belem I use this square too..........and it's fantastic.

It's right what that you wrote on the last post........
"Life is also made from small simple things".
ciao ciao

méri disse...

Tenho uma referência a este blog "lá em casa" :)

isabel disse...

Este eu nunca experimentei...boa "malha"

Odette disse...

Hola Belem, hace años me compre ese bastidor , pero no me he acostumbrado ma usarlo, creo que estoy más a gusto con el acolchado a máquina, quizas poe al pobre lo tengo de tan de lado.
Gracias por compartir tu experiencia co todas.
Un abrazo Odette

Tereclopes disse...

Muito obrigada pelos ensinamentos, para mim preciosos.
beij.

APO (Bem-Trapilho) disse...

k interessante! nem sabia da existencia de bastidores quadrados! :oO
Há novidades no bem-trapilho! :)
http://bem-trapilho.blogspot.com/
bjinhos

Pam disse...

I used to use these hoops a lot in the past but the problem with getting then tension I wanted has made me stop using it. It certainly would be better for taking on a trip though.

Anónimo disse...

visitei seu blog e achei maravilhoso. Parabéns! Pretendo adquirir um bastidor quadrado, mas onde? Você pode me ajudar? Obrigada

Anónimo disse...

Olá amiga td bem?, será que pode me ajudar? Gostaria mt de comprar este bastidor quadrado mais onde posso encontra-lo, sou de Jundiaí -SP...
Bordo a máquina comum singer!...
Bjs e até mais...

meu email.

gesa.orteguinha@gmail.com
ou
gesabel@globo.com